Saturday

REPURPOSING AN AMMO BOX - how to

 
 
I'm re-sharing this post with more building details for
others who want to re purpose their own ammo boxes.
 
 
I got my ammo box after George couldn't resist bidding on it at an auction.
 
 
Thank you honey ... now what am I going to do with this?
 
After a year passed and I thought about it long and hard,
I ended up combining it with a saw horse into a 2 sided sofa table.
 
George also picked up the sawhorse along his travels,
again Thank you honey ... but what am I gonna do with this thing?
 
 
The ammo box was turned upside down and the top of the sawhorse was secured
with screws and some wood bracing inside the underside.
 
I took the door / lid right off and used it as the bottom shelf between the legs.
 
 
I reused the door hinges to secure the shelf to the legs.
Of course there were only 2 hinges so they got installed at the back so you could see them,
and the front was screwed directly to the legs.
 
I left the original latch and rope handles to add to the rustic and original charm.
 
 
I used a light white wash so all the stamped labelling could still be seen throughout the piece.
It is not shocking from a distance but can be read up close.
 
 
 
 
 
This re-purposed ammo box table found a lovely new home as an entry table.
 

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. I saw these all ove the flea market last summer and absolutely loved them. I kept wanting to get one but couldn't come up with something to use it for. So wish I got one now after seeing your awesome project! I totally love the whitwashing it is a perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool, cool old piece. You did a great job making it functional. I love it- and there is kind of a subtle "behave yourself entering here" message to it when it is in the foyer!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blog so much. You're a great instructor for technique and you share your creative ideas too. This is such a clever use of materials for re-purposing. I adore boxes of any size, shape and use so this is a idea to "pin". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! My husband would love it.
    Susan
    SunflowerHugs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is perfect timing! I have a few ladies who do workshops in my studio who have bought old Russian ammo boxes but don't know what to do with them. My suggestion was a hanging cabinet for keys or in the bathroom--but your idea has just opened up many possibilities!
    Thanks for that. I will pass this on, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing and fun project, I have to say I've never seen an ammo box but what a nice piece.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't comment often but just want you to know how much I enjoy your talent! Love the way you look at things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Beautifully done. It is a gorgeous piece with a history - who could ask for more? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two of these boxes, neither in great condition! My plan is to attach one to a foldable luggage rack for a table at the end of our sofa. Do you have any suggestions on the method/type of paint to use? I want to use Army green but to use a paint brush or spray paint is the question?!?

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!