Saturday

THE ART OF WET DISTRESSING - tutorial

 
You don't have to use sand paper to give your furniture project a
distressed and worn look if you use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
 
 
This look can be achieved with a good quality damp kitchen sponge.
 
 
Start by painting your project with your color choice of ASCP.
Once dry, grab a damp sponge and clean rag.
 
NOTE:
**2 sided sponge / scrubbies work best for this**
**just dampen your sponge do NOT have it dripping wet**
 
 
Working in small sections (like this leg) wipe your dried paint with the damp sponge.
The chalk paint is going to absorb the water and start to soften.
 
 
Now take the scrubby side and wiping over the same area.
Be gentle with this step, the softened areas will start to lift.

 
Take a rag and remove any excess paint haze and dry the area you just worked.

 
You are ready to wax now.

 
You can also take this opportunety to clean your floor.

 
It's really simple to do, no scrubbing, sanding, or dust,
you are letting the water do most of the work for you.
 
 *****************************************
 
 
Stop in to see what's new in shabby chic white hardware available at firstfinds.
 
There are over 1000 pieces of used hardware to choose from
 

 
 

 
 


Pin It Now!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great idea/tip. No sanding dust to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this before. I never knew it was a real technique, but it makes much less of a mess than sandpaper and when it's cold outside and I'm working inside I opt for this method too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info because I dread sanding-looks easy enought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this, I wondered how it was done and you get a clean floor too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so I've wet distressed before, and the scrubbie sponge is the best idea. That is genius, that is what was missing from the way I was doing it. Can't wait to try it.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished an oak chest and used a scrub sponge to distress... It's too cold in the garage and sanding it traditionally inside was not a good idea... Thanks for sharing this process with everyone, it's fabulous! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to learn something new ... and I just love the way you've distressed this piece. Seems much easier than the way I've been doing it ... Thank you for the tutorial!
    Blessings!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your taking the time to share this! I love the look of the wood too. I have been milk painting because I like the wood to show random like. I have two projects on my blog I did recently. Now I have a way to do it with the Chack paint thank you so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do this too! I don't have a workshop, so most of my work is done in our living room. This way I can avoid all the mess of traditional sanding. I've found that hot water works best too. Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I am going to give this a try. I do most of my work in a garage when it is cold (which has been the case for weeks now) and I always feel like I am going to make myself sick with all of the particles flying around when I start sanding! Thanks for sharing! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this technique! Thank you so much for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great technique- I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything that means no sanding is always good.
    merle......

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! You are a genius! I just bought a roll top desk from a friend of mine that is slightly beat up. I've been wondering what I should do with it. This is it!! Thank you! Do you think black paint (think Pottery Barn look) would work just as nice?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just tried this - amazing!! Painted our bed frame the light blue AS color and now distressing. Looks fab and professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So the last step is to wax? This newbie needs to know more details...Does this seal it up to prevent future rubbing off? Do you coat it with anything after?
    Thanks for your help! Love this look.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!