HOW I CREATED A RICH ESPRESSO FINISH - with chalk paint



BUT DOES IT COME IN BLACK?
We all know AS Chalk Paint doesn't come in black and I wanted a nice dark rich finish. I only had AS Graphite to work with, which is a flat charcoal color. How was I going to pull this off.






I started by painting the top of the dresser with one coat
of ASCP Graphite over a medium colored wood finish.
Graphite was going to be too flat for what I wanted.


Once the paint dried I applied a liberal layer or 2 of ASCP 
dark wax. Above you can see the upper edge has dark wax on
 it and the lower edges is just raw graphite paint. I took a 
dozen photos to show you this and it's still iffy whether you 
can see the difference properly.


The dark wax takes a long time to dry if you do it rich and
 heavy. I let it dry for several days, buffing occasionally then
 adding a final coat of clear wax to give it a nice shine.




I added some well placed graphics to the drawers.
*Well placed* is an interesting term considering I tried 
several different ideas, in several different locations,
sanding away the mistakes in between attempts.
Each were drawn first and filled in with black paint pens. 



 ********************************************
Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project.

  

CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION

  

  CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION



Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware