Thursday

WHATNOTS TO WONDERLAND - wonderland shelf


I do so love mashing together bits of furniture to make something amazing.
My frightening to french cabinet has the highest page views on this blog of all my projects.
It's all over Pinterest and it was built long before Pinterest was ever popular.
I have been craving to build something similar, so without further ado plz meet the
Whatnots to Wonderland shelf.


WHATNOTS TO WONDERLAND             FRIGHTENING TO FRENCH

 

It certainly would not look out of place on the set of ONCE UPON A TIME
which is ironically filmed locally and a favorite show of mine.


I named this piece the WONDERLAND SHELF because of all the
whimsical curving shapes I used and created. 


Our lead cast member was a simple solid wood provincial nightstand.
It is a high quality, solid wood, Canadian made Malcolm piece
that is just too damn short at 24".


Next on stage was a heavy pine, book shelf head board.
With this piece I created the shelving that would sit on top of the nightstand.


 Here are some of the other whatnots used to build the
Wonderland Shelf.


2 different aprons that had been removed from earlier projects were used to trim the shelves.


The whimsical shape of the upper cabinet came from the backs of 2 dining chairs, and
the beautiful wood carved topper was torn from a 1960s upholstered living room chair.

THANK YOU LISA FOR THE DINING CHAIRS!


I was over joyed when I realized these equally whimsical over sized knobs
would work more magic on the drawer faces.


The back of the shelves are lined with a white anaglypta wallpaper.
Anaglypta is a Greek term meaning "raised ornament".
These wallpapers have an embossed or texture surface that resembles fine plasterwork.
Anaglypta papers are washable and paintable.



Sharing at:

Primitive and Proper

Would you like to receive a copy of my daily posts to your inbox? Subscribe here

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you are looking for specific information you might like to:
Pin It! Pin It Now!

24 comments:

  1. WOW! Amazing! Incredible! I wish I had your 'eye' and your imagination. And your stockpile of extra pieces, not that the stockpile would do me any good, as it would never occur to me to marry pieces and create something so lovely. Kudos, that is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you are amazing !! It is so nice to see what you see, To be honest I don't see anything like this . I really don't see anything at all (LOL) when junking .I love that you have shown us this incredible look into your world of design . Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic talents , Your student Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely FABULOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut the front door, woman! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blows my mind!!! Fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it- you are beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible! Thanks so much for sharing how it all came together! It was like a peek into how your mind works (sees things). Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing the parts to these beauties. I was trying to guess what you used to make the front of the first shelf unit but I thought it was a table leg. Your creations are helping me to stretch my imagination.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is probably my favorite piece you have ever done. I learn so much from you. In fact, I just got brave enough to take off a kick board, alter it, and put it back on because you inspired me. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love it! It looks great and the lines of the piece are wonderful! GREAT job- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. You a crazy good at this stuff! You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun and "whimsical" piece!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I have admired your original shelf you made and sent it to several of my friends to ooo and awww over. You do such beautiful work. I admire you for your ability to repurpose these junk pieces into works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool! When I saw it I immediately thought of Beauty and the Beast because its shape is very whimsical. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You named that right, it DOES look like something from Wonderland! Now we know Disney's secret.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Genius. Love how you showed us what you used. It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Talk about thinkin outside of the box!!! Love it.
    Candy
    PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are UNBELIEVABLY talented!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an AMAZING talent you have! Creating such stunning pieces out of bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That is really, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pieces. I have been bitten by the bug as well and started painting furniture this summer, nothing as grand or amazing as this, but I'm sure I will get there. Sitting here looking at some of the pieces I've done and realizing the many mistakes I made, but I think it gives the furniture more character. :D

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense