3 ROOSTERS, A TIGER, AND AN EGG - vintage grain cabinet


I have fallen in love again with another finished project,
and so has it's potential new owner.

 
  


The base cabinet I used for this kitchen unit is made of Tiger Oak.
I'm sure many of you have read an online furniture ad mentioning Quarter Sawn or Tiger Oak,
this is what it looks like.


For those wondering exactly what that means or how it's done: 

The log is first cut longitudinally into wedge-shaped quarters. Then the quarters are cut along each plane of the wedge, with the cuts running radially toward the center of the log. The cuts are made alternately on each face of the wedge, producing narrower and narrower boards as the wood is cut away. Because the grain of quarter-sawn wood is straighter than that of flat-sawn lumber, the quarter-sawn wood is significantly more stable.



This french grain graphic I used can be found at the Graphics Fairy.


The top portion I bought at a yard sale over a year ago and it's been waiting for the right companion.
It's a solid maple Vilas piece.



 You can find a side by side before and after pic of this vintage grain cabinet here.


This FARMERS MARKET sign with rooster accent
and 2 lucky Portuguese Roosters are available on George's Etsy shop


Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Job well done! And thank you for all the tidbits of info!
    Have a great weekend..
    Smiles~
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job!!!!!!!!!!!! it is absolutely beautiful! Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kristy!!! Adorable!!! I would never tell it was made of two different pieces!
    And thank you for the info on the wood, I never saw anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful piece, Kristy! I'm sure its new owner will enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for that interesting explanation & graphic of quarter-sawn oak. It's beautiful!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that a joke?........ Three Roosters, a Tiger and an Egg walk into a bar.........

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool! We have a family heirloom upright grand piano from the 1920s made with tiger oak. It's stunning. How fun to know how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO, love it to pieces. I want to learn to do that transfer graphic thing sooo much. I just need to stop what I am doing and LEARN from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job. It looks really good. Gramma Hazel had a lot of tiger oak...and none of us has ever dared paint the pieces. Yours looks so nice! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the finished piece is lovely. But I am sad that you covered that gorgeous wood. I'd really love to see that wood shine.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!