FREE to FLEA MARKET CHIC - shabby chic cabinet






A wonderful friend of mine picked up a roadside treasure and stored it for me in her garage for a few weeks. What I wouldn't give to have a garage of my
own, anyways back to the story. Once I had the extra space she then delivered it all the way to my place. Gotta love friends like this. She had sent me a photo when she first found it but I had forgotten what it looked like. Upon opening the back of her truck I became speechless ...



It was an amazing roadside treasure originally from the 30's
 or 40's with carved details and rounded wood on the middle
 door. It had awesome hardware and hand carved bits on the
 side doors. Someone had cut out a square in the top
 presumably for use as a sink, maybe for a bar???


Step #1 - remove the old bun feet
Step #2 - add some cute queen anne legs

****************************************


Step #3 - remove the old cut up top
Step #4 - add a new top using reclaimed wood



Step #5 - Paint away!!!


(Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White)

The bottom of the cabinet front (aka apron or kick plate) was
 too straight for my taste, so I created a nice curving design to
 the kick plate. First I drew a curve from the middle over to
 the right foot. Using my jigsaw I cut the one side and used
 the cut out as a template to trace the other side so it was the same.




The little bump you see in the picture below at the middle
 point of the cutaway is a shell applique I added.

******************************************


Here is a better view of the applique I added on the kick
 plate. The middle cupboard was very damaged inside, again
 probably from plumbing installed for the sink. I took a few
 hours to clean it up and renovate it with a new shelf.




The middle door was sagging because many of the hinge
 screws were loose and stripped, so the hinges weren't tight.
 This happens over time when doors are heavy or weight is
 put on them. I replaced all the loose screws with new ones
 that were either wider or longer and once the hinges
were all tight the door no longer sagged.



I used sandpaper to distress all the edges and carved
 areas for that fabulous Flea Market chic look.

The final step was to wax and polish the whole cabinet with AS clear wax.



BEFORE                        AFTER

*************************************
has tons of unique vintage hardware available for sale

  CLICK the PHOTO for INFORMATION

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware