OIL AND WATER AND PAINT - crackling paint



Another beautiful summer weekend gone, but enjoyed immensely. A few projects started and finished.
Summer days are so darn long, work can be done for hours. 




One of the finished items is this Seaside bookshelf.
I painted it in a beachy aqua then in a vintage white. I 
also added the sea shell motif to the base.

***************************************


George helped me get some photos taken for an upcoming
 tutorial I want to write on painting chairs. 



I bought six of these solid maple chairs and painted them
 aqua. While painting I started to get some really great
 cracking in the finish on each of the chairs.


Crackling can happen for several different reason,

#1 the paint dried too quickly (heat from the sun)
#2 the paint was applied too thick
#3 the paint reacts to something on the surface underneath

In this case most of it is on the upper back rest, front and 
back. This could be oil from hands grabbing and moving the
 chairs over the course of the last 40 years.


I do prefer to go over my projects with soapy water before
 painting but sometimes think ahead about
 the finish you want, the older it is the more likely you can
 expect some paint reaction on the surface. 




Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware