REBUIDING ANTIQUE DRESSERS - replacing drawers


Both of these dressers where curb side finds. They were from different homes
during a community clean up week and understandably destine for the dump.
Not many ppl could or would have wanted to save them, they were that bad.


It is hard to know where to start explaining what happened.
But I will start where you can see there is something wrong.


In this fairy tale picture of the first / white dresser you see no top drawers.
This is correct ... absolutely no drawers or parts could be found in the rest of the rubble pile
during the time I was strapping her to the roof of my SUV and getting hoots and haulers
telling me what a great find I got.
"Ya right buddy get a closer look then tell me that."


I ended up making new drawers!

Okay I did not make brand new ones, that's not what I do here or even what I suggest you do.
I was lucky enough to have some old desk drawers that I was able to make work after cutting.


They were the right height but too long and a bit narrow.

After altering the drawers so they weren't so long I had to remove and replace
the middle supports inside the dresser because the new drawers were narrower.

Get ready for the technical diagrams ...
if you have a short attention span, just like pretty pictures, or simple never plan to do this yourself
 skip past the next 3 images.



The dresser is laying on a table and on it's back to make working inside easier.



You have made it past the how things work section ...
Now enjoy the rest of the pictures.


I also removed and replaced the original vertical divider on the front with something wider.

I promise it really is the same dresser.




There are a lot more details to share that went into this dresser and the other, like

repairing broken drawers,
rebuilding a drawer you only have half of,
rebuilding missing applique bits,
gluing veneer down on countless edges
gluing bubbled veneer in the center of a surface
filling in missing veneer
replacing an apron,
and how about
building a complete back for a dresser,
but all this in due time.



Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! Wow...I've seen a few drawers missing in some dressers and wondered how they could be restored. What a great idea. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have dreamed up that solution to a dresser with missing drawers. But that is why you do it and I just read about it. They both look so regal.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, resourceful and well built. I long to be more comfortable with power tools and posts like this just increase my desire. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow inhabitant of planet earth, I sincerely thank you for keeping these dressers out of the landfill, making them useful and beautiful again, and honoring the trees from which they came!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I mention how I think you're brilliant? Yeah, seriously. I agree with the above statement...thanks for keeping these out of the landfill. It's what I feel compelled to do, also, but I can't be everywhere! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I admire you, you make it work!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great save. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazing Kristy! Hey, what have to found to be the best thing to get the old, musty barn stench out of an old dresser?

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!