POTTERY BARN TRUNK - look-a-like


The Rebecca is a lovely rustic trunk available at Pottery Barn for $669.78


This photo has been in my idea folder for some time and when I found this
well worn plywood box (shown below) I knew it was the right candidate for the project.


It has wonderful worn edges and unbelievable character.
The problem was it was too worn in places to look good and be safe to use everyday as a coffee table.

I started by removing some unnecessary bits


and quickly moved to cutting pine boards with 45 degree angles needed to trim the box.





I started to paint the new wood (and George's drill) with a chocolate color
and sanded it through in areas.


Then I washed the whole piece with watered down ASCP Graphite before waxing the first time.


After getting a nice even look between the original wood and the new pine,
I washed it with a thick muddy beige to give it an even tone of age.


I installed some wonderful hinges across the back, a vintage catch in front,


and the original metal corner guards using some nail head trim.
I love the original trunk handles, unfortunelty there was only one when I found it.


BEFORE                                    AFTER


POTTERY BARN                                             MINE





Sharing with:

Pin It Now!

19 comments:

  1. I love it, Kristy you are so talented, I wish I had your woodworking skills. Amazing job, don't know how you can be outside working in the this heatwave. It is so hot here and the mosquitos are horrible.
    Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Great look alike Kristy!
    Susan
    Homeroad

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely wonderful...you are so gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your truck even better. What a great transformation and I love the way you styled the photo to match the Pottery Barn ad.
    I like the artsie photo of your husbands sander too.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great transformation and, honestly, such a great deal for some lucky shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristy: My first time to your blog--what a lovely transformation, and what an amazing layering of colors to create the perfect look. I like it a lot! Take care--have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I Love it! What a wonderful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantabulous!! Your transformation is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Kristy,
    I have just spent the past hour devouring your blog. I love everything! I will be trying your hand painted stencil technique! You are really talented. I am now following your blog and I have grabbed your button. Keep creating, I will check back daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous copycat project. I love the new details you added.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, That is a great project.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like yours even better than Pottery Barns..Great job..
    Please pop over and visit, as I'm having a giveaway..xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing! I like your trunk better than Pottery Barn. I looks more authentic and the color is more attractive. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing makeover and knock-off! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are featured today at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!