HOW TO MAKE SUBWAY ART - reverse stencil


There are a few tutorials available around blog land showing how
to achieve a subway art look, so why am I offering another?


I wanted a certain finished look that I was not able to find
and I wanted to share some of the unique qualities that AS Chalk Paint offer in the process.


I used vinyl letters creating a reverse stencil on top of white chalk paint,

The letters were made with commercial adhesive vinyl
left over from my contractor days. (drawer liner or mac tac should work)
I used a computer program to get the size and shape I wanted
then printed them out and cut them by hand.

I only wanted the white for the letters so I washed the rest off with water.
I did not want all that extra white coming through areas that were going to be distressed.



The remaining steps I took are:

1) painted over everything with AS Graphite
2) once dry, remove the vinyl letters
3) waxed the drawer face
4) distress with sand paper
5) wax and buff to a shine


The finished project is pictured below.
You can see some of the drawers have the extra white underneath.
I found it was messy that is why I removed it but maybe you'll like it that way for your project.


********************************************

Have you stopped into firstfinds hardware store lately?
Here are just some of the switch plates available for your home.

 




 




Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware