Thursday

FIXING BROKEN DINING CHAIRS - sheild back chairs


I found a set of six vintage sheild back dining chairs on CL. They were gorgeous and just what I wanted.


However, two of the chairs had serious damage.


Do you think that was going to stop me!  I love repairing wood.


I had to scrape out all the old glue from an early repair attempt.
Removing the old glue and any dirt is important to a good solid wood repair.

 

All the repairs I made were secured with 3" deck screws and then concealed in the frame.
 
You must predrill so you do not crack or split your frame. You also have to counter sink the head so
you can cover them over with wood filler. You use the same method to conceal the heads as filling
old hardware holes:
 
 
 
It's a slow process but well worth it for me. Once you get the frame fixed you can fill in the cracks.


When this chair had been repaired before the details had been lost under fillers,
so I had to re-carve the detail back into the frames.


Here are the two chairs after being repaired.


I primed and painted the chairs in a semi gloss custom white and reupholstered the seats
 


 

Sharing with:
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative BlogRedoux<

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. You did a great job, you never tell those chairs were broken

    Rasha @ mychampagnetaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock girlfriend!

    You're like the fixer of all fixers! Wish you lived next door to me, I get tired of looking out the window at hay bales all day long.

    The picture of your chairs in the van cracked me up. They look like they were on their way to a party or something. Okay, 'nough said, I've got goofyitis right now, but I am always impressed with the quality of your repairs.

    a hui hou - Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chairs are beautiful! I have the same set and would love to paint them, but they need some repairs first. The backs (shields) have begun to break down. The layers of wood have separated and are splintering. Any ideas of a way to repair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIES!! Lovin' that white gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love regluing and repairing furniture, too! i even like scrapin' old glue, so i'm kinda wacko.

    great job on these chairs!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed! I have a bunch of furniture in the basement that needs fixing. Wanna come over? Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job, I could definitely use this tutorial. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those chairs were so lucky they found you! Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What type of screws did you use that we're conceled in the frame? Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 3 inch deck screws. You must predrill so you do not crack or split your chair frames. You also have to counter sink the head so you can cover them over with wood filler. You use the same method to conceal the heads as filling old hardware holes: http://4theloveofwood.blogspot.ca/2011/02/dont-limit-yourself-filling-tutorial.html
      Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

      Delete

THANK YOU ALL!