WHITE WASHED DOVE GREY - primer and wax

 
This is really a simple project however
I've made these instructions as detailed as I can.
I'm using primers because they dry quickly and they sand easily.
 
First clean your furniture with a de-greaser,
soap and water is fine. I use Windex multi surface grease cutter.
 
 
You will need water based grey and white primer, some furniture paste wax
and a spray bottle of water. Prime with one quick coat of grey primer.
Brush in the direction of the wood grain, do not worry about streaks. (see picture below)
 
 
Once dry sand your edges and all surfaces smooth,
with a fine sand paper. (180 grit, 220 grit, 260 grit)
 

Thin your white primer with water till it is the consistency of milk.
See below how runny it is ...
 
 
Start by practising your technique on the top surface.
The top is easiest to work on and can always have a different look then the body.  


 
Have your spray bottle of water ready to thin your white more while working with it.
 
 

Also have a cloth or sponge handy to help move the white around. ALWAYS move
in the direction of the wood grain and start slow you can always add.

 
Pictures speak louder then words.
 

 
Continue adding your white and spraying with your water bottle until you get the layered look you
want. Use your brush and rag to drag the white into a weathered white wash finish.

 

 
After the entire cabinet has the depth of white you want, sand all the edges and high points again.
 Because we sanded before adding the white layers this step is quick and easy.
 
 
And now you can wax your project and call it complete.
I however went a little farther on this project.
 
 
I wanted a bit more of a punch to the top surface so I added a dark walnut gel stain to the top right
 over the white. No photos of these next steps were taken as it was too messy to have my camera
 around. So plz do your best to read the following instructions carefully.

 
Remember the bowl of white watery primer from earlier? 
While the stain was still tacky I saturated it with
more white primer. And I mean I poured the remainder
 of the bowl on the top and spread it from side to side.
See in the photo below the streaks of dark brown left behind.
 
 
Water base primer won't normally adhere well to an oil based stain once dried that is why I did it
while it was tacky. Next using a sponge I lightly dragged it across the top in the direction of the grain
 to remove the excess white primer but leaving this beautiful finish behind.
 
 
The top turned out mouth watering!
 Below you can see the difference between the side and the top.
 

The final step is to wax and buff the whole piece,
which makes the layers really standout and the whole piece will shine.
 

Things to note:
- stain embeds into primer quickly so your working time is only seconds
- if you are working with solid wood pieces you can fix/sand anything you don't like
 


Full photos of the finished piece can be seen here:

 ********************************************
 
ALSO ...
Stop in to see what's new in shabby chic white hardware available at firstfinds.
 
There are over 1000 pieces of used hardware to choose from
 
 


 
I've shared this at:
 
SAS Interiors

 

Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. I love the finish you gave this piece! Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out beautifully! Love the color! Thanks so much for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post! I love the distressed finish on this piece. Thank you for the tutorial. I'm your newest follower.

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and thanks for your tutorial! I've got this linked to my whitewashing furniture DIY post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this end table!!! Is there anyway I can buy it from you? I would love 2 of them, but don't know if you can do that.
    Thank you,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. The depth of color in the finished piece is really beautiful. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous as always! Love this look. I have done a few pieces with the whitewash technique and I always love how it brings out the details in a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet technique. Love your hardware too! Pinned:) New follow for your page. I posted anchor dress to the party:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty ingenious now can you say that again while holding my hand. You really are amazing. I found you through pinterest and you are creative soul. Right down to your core. I read all day bc I'm home ill and you are the most creative thinker I've come across. Keep it up. You have yet to make your mark. Maybe get on some of the us bloggers that were noted in the top 20 from Lonny and like. I so wish I had found you before!!! Really outstanding. No copying or duplicating. Just solid creative work. You should be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of this piece. It took me two tries to get the white washed look I wanted.. came out perfect. Then I decided to take the risk and go the extra step with the stain. I think it adds such a nice dimension. BIG mistake. Wow did I make a mess of things. Not sure what I was supposed to do, but the stain dried way too quickly and went on so dark I couldn't wipe it off. So bummed out!! Looks like square one again... :'(
    Any tips? I might chicken out anyway on the stain and just wax.. but for another smaller piece maybe I'll try again..
    Really gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your work. Found you via Pinterest while collecting ideas for gray-washing our dining table. The more I read, the more I chicken out because it's furniture which is used on a regular basis, but I'll never know if I don't try. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!