Friday

OLD WORLD TRAVEL - vintage travel themed chest


I worked on making a vintage travel themed chest of drawers,
and it turned out amazing.


It started as a beautiful forest green dresser.
When was it in style to paint with this color.

Oh ya the 80's!

The entire dresser was scraped and sanded.
(disclaimer) NO STRIPPER (disclaimer)
was employed during the making of this project.

George was upset, he wanted a stripper.

I left tiny hints of each of the 3 paint
colors that had been painted on it before it came to me.
This added to the vintage feel.
The 3 colors were green, white, and cream.


After getting it all cleaned and sanded I started to
 paint the *stamps* on the face of the drawers.
It was all done by hand.


Before adding the elaborate brass handles and
 key plate it was stained with a walnut stain
and polished with finishing wax.

First I sketch with pencil a Fleur De Li, then went
over the outline with a fine sharpie marker.
It was then filled in with fat chisel tip marker.
The finer sharpie marker didn't seem to come off during the antiquing part.


You can see above how the outline
 stayed and the filled in part lifted just right.


The top was finished in the walnut stain also and hand rubbed with wax.



Pin It Now!

18 comments:

  1. Okay, what a cool idea to do especially on a stained piece. When the blogging world is all about painting everything, this is actually a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you that I love this dresser make over and I think I will try this myself (if I can find the time). Keep up the inspiring ideas! C

    ReplyDelete
  3. this turned out gorgeous! I am impressed you did it without using a stripper! It really does look like a vintage travel trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super job! I love it. I do stripper sometimes, and sand sometimes.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It turned out awesome. Where did you get the star that you put on the chest? Please link up at our link party later tonight. Its open all week.
    Amy
    @SistersoftheWildWest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for linking up

    www.SistersoftheWildWest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out awesome!! I'd love for you to link these up at Sundae Scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dresser its so cool would you mind if i featured it on my next revival monday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this post? That dresser is GORGEOUS! I'm overworking my Pinterest boards with your site today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love this! You did a fabulous job, I love all the stamps and letters on it! Beautiful!!!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were featured at WFR! I missed this one too...it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the details! I love to sand to get that silky texture, but also like using Citristrip to get off icky veneers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually love to sand so that for me is a no brainer. Don't know why, but give me a sander and some ear plugs and I am a happy girl. Love all your posts, I am now your newest follower. BTW I am now on the look out for an old coffee table and bookcase so I can marry them and get a beautiful French bookcase out of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just had to show this to my husband I LOVE it. Going to try something similar soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just gorgeous! I love to do this kind of transfer too.
    No stripper for this girl! Too messy. I will sand any time.

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello there!
    Can you tell me specifically what type of Sharpie you are using on this piece? And the French Label Dresser? Are they just regulare Sharpies or the Sharpie Paint Markers?
    Does the smell bother you? Does the piece continue to smell like a giant Sharpie Marker or does it fade away??

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing! I love the stencils against the wood stain!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!