FIXING A BAD PAINT JOB - terrible turquoise cabinet




I am writing this article to give hope to those who have a lovely pieces of furniture that ended up with an awful paint job and I hope to offer some guidance to those who don't have experience painting furniture.





I am going to show you close-up images so you can see what 
happened and how I turn it around with a new coat of paint
 and some specific tips & techniques.

   

#1 DISTRESSING SURFACES
I distress large flat surfaces by hand with sandpaper.
 Sanding evenly but lightly across the whole area and in one direction.


#2 FRET WORK
I removed the glass behind the fret work.
This piece has a flexible gasket that easily pulled out.
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS
When I can't remove the glass, I folded paper
 into strips that can be slid in behind the fret work.
 Paint using a smaller artist brush with a squared end also helps.


#3 SHELVES
I removed the adjustable height shelf and painted behind it.


#4 LEGS
I turned the cabinet upside down to get complete access 
to paint the legs but I also could have unscrewed them.


#5 DISTRESSING EDGES
I don't use a hand sander because it can remove too 
much material too quickly like it had done here exposing the
 MDF center and creating a gummy mess of paint.


 #6 SMOOTH FINISH
I used the BRIGHT COLOR & ROUGH, UNEVEN
 TEXTURE to enhance the end result. After I painted the
 lighter blue I smoothed ever inch with a 220 grit sand paper
 and followed that with wax. Most people like too see a
 unique finish but we also want to reach out and run our
 fingers over the surface to see how it feels.
*******************************************



The color I used was
 Annie Sloan Svenska Blue with Clear Wax.





You can always follow along on 
INSTAGRAM @4_the_love_of_wood
where you get sneak peaks of what I am up to.

*******************************************
FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE 
vintage switch plates


Firstfinds Hardware Store
  vintage hardware for your next project

*******************************************

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware