FIXING DRAWERS THAT FALL DOWN - Ridgid Driver and Before & After







I've used a lot of power drivers in my time
but the one I use now has been my favorite
for years. I first saw it in the hands of an
electrician and immediately asked about it.





It is cordless and rechargeable and also
light weight with good power. As soon as I
could I went out and bought one. It came
in quite handy for this dresser makeover.
I will share what it is in this article.

*****************************************************




The first thing I did with this dresser was to cut off about 4
 inches from the bottom. Sounds weird right but I had a 
vision. The board on the front came off easy, just nails 
holding it. The sides were cut with a jigsaw.


ADDING LEGS
I wanted to add a long leg for storage underneath like baskets
 and if I didn't take away some of the height it already had it 
would be ridiculously tall. After I was done it turned out the
 perfect size.


   
*********************************************************



FIX IT TIP:
If you have drawers that fall down when you open them like
 in the BEFORE photo below I have an easy fix for you, and it
 usually only happens to the top drawers.


*****************************************************



All you need is to secure a piece of wood in the dresser like
 these next 2 photos show. It needs to fit into the space right
 above where the drawer edge moves back and forth.


Now when the back edge of the drawer tips up it will hit this
 strip of wood rather then tilting all the way up into the open
 space that use to be there.

This does not usually happen to the lower drawers because
they are stopped from tipping by the drawer above it.


MY FAVORITE TOOL
This is my Ridgid driver equipped with a lite for dark places.
 It doesn't have one of those huge battery packs on bottom, it
 has a small round one that fits inside the handle. They 
originally came in a soft zip up carry case so they go with me
 a lot of places. I have had to buy some new batteries after
 all these years but the drivers have not failed me once.

*****************************************************




TWO TONE
I was inspired to do an Alice in Wonderland theme and used
 the contours of the original piece to create the look.
 The Alice dresser was all brush painted with ASCP in a 2
 tone white and off white before being clear waxed. 

*****************************************************





To read about how I add legs click here: 

SNEAK PEAKS ON INSTAGRAM

*******************************************
FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE 

SETS OF 2 French Provincial Solid White Handle Shabby Chic image 0 SET OF 2 Shabby Chic Drawer Pulls White Handles Hardware Solid White SET OF 2 White Shabby Chic Drawer Pulls French Provincial image 0


READY TO SHIP 16 Misfit White Knobs Shabby Chic Distressed image 0 Vintage Rose Shabby Chic Bright White Electrical Plates Light image 0 SETS OF 2 Vertical Shabby Chic Pulls White Kitchen Cabinet image 0
*******************************************

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware