UNION JACK CLOTHES CUPBOARD - glass cover up





I was rePurposing a clothes closet for someone special
and the original piece I was working with, came with
smoked glass panels set in 2 doors. I knew the look I
wanted for the finished closet but it was not going to
work with the glass looking that way. 






Not only was the glass a smoky dark color it had a flowery
 vine design in white around the edge. This clothes closet was
 being rePurposed for a boys room so I created a different
 look for the panels.

This young man just happens to be from the UK so I chose to
paint canvas in a vertical British flag design for each door.


I used drop cloth from the paint store and adhered it with
 double sides tape on the back side of the glass. Then I
 mapped out the Union Jack design with masking tape
 for painting on the canvas. 

 ****************************************

 

BEFORE      &     AFTER


I fixed all the issues a vintage piece of furniture usually has,
 like wobbly drawers and missing handles before painting it
 all white. The idea for this closet was to add heavier 
distressing where it would typically be worn from years of use.




Here is a close up of the antique pulls and the simulated wear
on the paint around the handles. Once the doors and drawers
 were all distressed and looking perfect I gave them a nice waxing.
I have a short waxing video available to watch here:





Behind the doors I installed some nice natural wood shelves
 for folded clothes, the hanging rod is still there and the 
shelves can easily be removed later if someone wants
 to hang clothes again.



Here is another look at the final piece finished ...


You can always follow along on INSTAGRAM @4_the_love_of_wood
where you get sneak peaks of what I am up to.


*******************************************
Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see all the
vintage hardware we have available for your next project.


image 0 image 0 image 0
  CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR DETAILS
*************************************
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware