DARK WAXING BLACK PAINT

 
 
I love to wax black paint!
I love to wax black paint!
I really really do!
I hope if I say it enough it might make it true ... WINK
 
 
I built this black bookshelf above with many different pieces including the 2 side tables seen below.
 
 
 
The front legs are harp arms from a vintage mirror, and the top and trim pieces are
 all from one coffee table, and a few scraps of wood for shelving in the middle.
 
To build the top shelving I used some Ikea bed frame bits and a stair rail post.
 
 
I painted it in ASCP Graphite and dark wax. I do not apply clear wax at all.
 
 
 I apply the dark wax with fine woodworkers steel wool. The steel wool smooth's my finish and I can use it all the way through the process, applying, removing, and most of the buffing. The process is slightly different and I would describe it more like I am sanding the entire surface with the steel wool and using the wax as a lubricant. The wax can't really build up when you are using something coarse like the wool. I do polish the top with paper towel or a soft cloth for the final step.

 
 
Black finishes are the trickiest to deal with. They show every flaw in the paint, collect and show
dust 10x more than other colors, and finger prints and wipe marks are always seen on glossy surfaces.

TRY WAXING YOUR BLACK PAINT WITH STEEL WOOL
  **woodworkers have used fine steel wool for decades to refine their finishes **
 
 

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Wow. You are so creative. I so pinned this. Please come share at my Chic By you link party @ Chic By Tab. Hope to see your black wax cabinet there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, This is a master pice. You're a genius!
    Best wishes from a spring starting Austria
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you took bits and pieces and created something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, what you do with wood is just amazing! Always love your transformations!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is some piece of furniture! Very creative! I too love to dark wax graphite it turns out so lovely....hard to describe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic piece, I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing old objects in a new light...love the transformations you create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "ersatz" pieces always have a lasting fascination for me - this one is really great! I am definitely going to try this finishing technique; I prefer using steel wool to sandpaper because of the way it handles contours and because of a dominant-hand disability. What do you do about random bits of wool sticking into your dark wax? Do you give it a final long wipe with a clean cloth? Do tell and I will spill my tip for dusting dark finishes!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!