FRIGHTENING TO FRENCH - french étagère




Many years ago I took a yard sale dresser covered
in sharpie marker and built it into a French étagère.
Come see the before photo that shocks everyone 
and follow the story of how I did it.  




I used this frightening dresser (above) and a little French side table (below) to made the étagère.


Let's start at the beginning ... 
I used the horrifying dresser for lumber supplies,
and I stripped down the little maple table for the base.
(update: with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint no stripping is needed now)

   

I built the upper shelf portion with the dresser parts and fastened it to the table.
The color you see above is a grey primer coat and below is the a creamy white latex.





The crown detail at the top is one of those crown molding wall shelves you see in home decor stores.





The frame of an old mirror was used for the front trim.



The fronts edge of the shelves were decorated with chair rail.

   

   



And that is how you take a FRIGHTENING dresser and turn it into something FRENCH.


********************************************

Have you stopped into firstfinds hardware store lately?
Here are just some of the items available for your projects.








Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You totally transformed this piece! You always have the best ideas! This one really blows me away! Outstanding job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristy, I'm in awe of you! You take recycling to a new level. I love this piece.
    We have built pieces like this, (please check out our furniture on our blog). but we would have taken the little table and built on top of it, maybe using old molding or turned legs, but we have never taken apart an old dresser to use the wood. We like to think of ourselves as a "green" company, recycling old furniture and we even use recycled paint from Portland, OR recycling plant but taking apart old furniture is a lot of work. My Hats off to you. I Love what you do!
    You give a lot of inspiration!.
    Thanks, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I am very inspired by your creativity. You have great vision and creativity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't even look like it could possibly be the same piece, really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming piece...WOW!!! Would love for you to hop over and share at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are fantastic! I am always blown away with your imaginative creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just a gorgeous job you did marrying those two parts. GREAT job! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This piece (or should I say pieces) came together beautifully. Love it. Thanks for sharing. Blessings Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter and I are in awe! The after is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!