VENEER - glueing part 1 of 4


I'm repeating the veneer series for those new to my blog,
and for those needing a refresher ...
 
 
I have many tricks for dealing with veneer issues before painting furniture.

With vintage furniture, veneer refers to thin slices of quality wood, usually
thinner than 1/8 inch, that are glued onto panels of a lesser grade woods.
Veneering is an ancient art, dating back to the Egyptians who
used veneers on their furniture and sarcophagi.



The first step in any DIY veneer repair is to establish how bad the damage is
and what route to take. I will go over edge gluing this time and eventually
share how to glue bubbles, fill missing areas, and the dreaded removal of veneer.
It is actually very simple but you'll just have to wait and see.


Many pieces of vintage veneered furniture have some edge lifting,
usually along the bottom.


It's a simple matter of using wood glue to secure the veneer back into place
and using masking tape to hold it down while it dries.


Use gravity!
Turn your piece of furniture over to get the glue run down in behind the lifting veneer.


I use a wet sponge to clean up any access glue before taping the edges.
Lay your tape on the veneered surface first and pull it tight over the edge.


Your drying time will vary with climate and temperature,
but a decent wait time would be 4 hours under normal circumstances.

Now go forth and Do it Yourself! 




Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I was about to do a google search today on how to deal with peeling veneer. I am thrilled you are posting this series. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. second the thank you! My great-grandmother's childhood dresser has veneer problems and I was wondering how to fix it without painting.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!