HOW TO WIPE ON POLY

 
After
 
When someone asks me what I recommend for a hard durable finish for a surface I always suggest
Minwax's wipe on poly because I remember the first time I used it. It was easy to understand and
follow the directions that are offered on the can and the resulting finish is very hard and durable.
 
Before
 
It is time to refinish the surface of George's old desk and share with you some tips for applying
Wipe On Poly.
 
 
This surface was stripped and stained first. Make sure your surface is dry and ready.
 
#1 wipe away any dust, dirty, or left over stain that might be sitting on the surface

I recommend using a glove and a folded piece of paper towel
 
 I pour the poly right on the surface of my project
 
 
I then wipe it from side to side covering the whole surface in a thin coat
 



if you have freshly stained your piece your rag will look like this the first time
 


leave it dry for 4 hours
 


once dry, lightly sand the surface 220+ grit





re-apply as many times as you like, waiting 4 hours between coats




always move with the grain



after the final light sanding, apply a coat of wax and buff
 
 
 
Each time your finish is drying it collects air born dust particles that create a rough texture.
Sanding between coats will eliminate that roughness and giving it a final coat of wax makes it super smooth and soft.
 
PLEASE NOTE :
 
Wipe on poly will yellow light colored surfaces.
 
 
 


Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kristy!!!

    The desk is absolutely beautiful!!!!

    Thank you for sharing this idea with us!! Your creations are always amazing!!! I've never seen anyone create a piece of furniture using different parts and it coming out as a one of a kind piece of furniture that some fortunate person will display in their home.

    Thank you Kristy for being you!!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50% Poly and 50% mineral spirits will give much the same thing as commercial "wipe on". Might need an extra coat or two for additional protection, but the money saved is worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kristy!, This is a great post. We've used wipe on poly for a while now and its great!!. I never waxed over it but that's a great idea. Thanks, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post...thank you! I very recently used this same wipe on poly for the first time on a coffee table top and I loved the way it went on. Waxing...gotta do that....thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Kristy -fantastic pictorial tutorial. and your desk looks beautiful. thanks for sharing
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of wipe on poly... I will give it a try! Do you wax over Polycrlic too? By the way I LOVE your desk!
    Thanks,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool - will have to give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial. I just tried wipe-on poly for the first time this week. I've always waxed. If you're going to use a glaze, do you do it before or after the poly?

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!