SPRAY PAINTING - equipment information






When I first started using a paint sprayer I was definitely a beginner understanding all the equipment. In the past however I had seen and used someone else's sprayer on a limited basis. So I did have an idea where to start.






FIRST COMPRESSOR
In the beginning I got an inexpensive compressor ($90)
 with a small tank and low pressure capacity. When I sprayed
 a large project it couldn't keep up. I had to let the tank refill
 all the time. So the motor was running non stop, wave at
 your neighbor and smile like you have no clue why they are
 so upset. It did last several years probably because I was only
 using it occasionally.



UPGRADING
Eventually it finally gave up. Now I was starting to use it 
more often so I decided to upgrade and get something a bit 
more powerful. For my next one I paid $200 at Canadian 
Tire. It was twice the capacity at 150 PSI with a 6 gallon tank.



UPDATE
The $200 compressor went after 18 months. I was using it
every day so I'm not surprised. In the mean time I learned to
 buy my tools during Christmas. I got an even better one
the next time and only paid $127 on sale in December.



SPRAY GUN
All this talk about my compressor and you are wondering
 where is the gun. The gun is a separate piece and a separate
 purchase, about $50. Again watch for specials at Christmas.


This is what mine looks like and it is made by 
Campbell Hausfeld. It is a gravity fed spray gun (paint goes
 in the pot on top) with air filter (that's the blue thing at the
 bottom) and 1.4mm spray tip. (standard size)


SPRAYING
I do not have a dedicated spray booth, area, or room, all I 
have is the great outdoors. When spraying outdoors there
are definite pros & cons.

BRIGHT SUMMER DAY
Paint dries quickly but bugs are attracted to your paint
Need sun glass using white paint but there is no threat of rain
Be careful of sun burns, especially the back of your neck!
I've done it.


OVERCAST or CLOUDY SUMMER DAY
Paint dries at a regular rate and there are no bugs
Some threat of rain but you won't go blind looking at your 
white paint
The temperature is much nicer to work in

******************************************************************




ADVANTAGE
I love to brush paint furniture but there are times when 
spraying is the obvious choice, for example I will never
 brush paint spindles or chairs ever again.


THINNING
I only use water base paints in my gun 
I do not put paints with powders added to them in my gun
I always thin my paint with water
I always run the paint through a paint strainer

When thinning my paint (latex or ASCP) for use in a sprayer
I don’t want my paint too runny like milk but more like 
cream. I add small amounts of water until I get the right consistence.

I also had to experiment with my spray guns settings.
I have a spray radios knob and an air pressure setting.

You will see one knob on the back and one on the side.



I hope this answers some of your questions for now.
Feel free to ask more if you have them.


MORE INFORMATION
New Article on using an HVLP spray gun with Annie Sloan
 Chalk Paint can be read here: https://bit.ly/1JKiYjt


*******************************************
Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see all the
vintage hardware we have available for your next project.

*******************************************

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware