VINTAGE FURNITURE REPAIRS - broken drawer joints




Recently I worked on a buffet that needed
major repairs. I photographed most of it to share how I fixed each problem.
I'm hoping it can help a few of you to
take on a repair or two of your own.







BROKEN DRAWER JOINTS

Over the years drawers give out and many get repaired
 quickly to get on with life. Like this drawer BELOW a lot of
 wood gets chipped and broken away and a normal repair
just won't hold it together anymore.


Here is a closer look at some of the damage.

  

MY FIX:

I got all the nails out and clean the joints of any old glue and
 debris. This takes patience and every tool in the box. The
 slower I went the less damage I would need to repair.
All these nails BELOW were from attempts to fix this buffet
 in the past. THAT'S A LOT!

*****************************************


I took several of the drawers apart because it makes it easier
 to rebuild them. I glued and clamped the joints together one
 at a time. Where there was missing wood I used some 
masking tape as a form to hold the glue from leaking out. And
 I used gravity to get the glue all the way through the joints by
 turning the drawers on end and pouring the glue from above.

  

For the final repair I waited until the next day for the joints to
 set up and then I glued a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch piece of wood
 securely in each corner, seen below. This really helps to
make sure all that missing and chipped out wood is not going
 to be an issue any more. I clean up all my glue mess with 
a damp kitchen sponge before it dried. You can also use a metal "L" bracket but be ware of splitting wood when installing.



AND HERE SHE IS ALL FINISHED



 **************************************************************
The other repairs can be found at these links:
LEG SUPPORTS: CLICK HERE
SAGGY DRAWER BOTTOMS: CLICK HERE

**************************************************************


*********************************

Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any shabby chic hardware for your next project.

  
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
 
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
 

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware