HOW TO GET DARK DISTRESSING UNDER WHITE - tutorial


I started with 4 brand new wood
chairs. They had no color, no
stain, no paint and I wanted to
end up with a white distressed
finish over a dark color. I did
not want to spend the extra time
and hassle staining the wood.
This is how I did it in one day.


Here's a close up of the natural wood.




My secret is to start by using a flat oil based spray on the areas that I'm going to distress.
The flat paint dries quickly so it doesn't add too much extra waiting time,
and the oil based paint won't sand off as easily when I distress the top coat of ASCP.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A GLOSSY SPRAY PAINT


This is the same technic I used with my primer red dresser and
 country bar stools with black underneath on both projects.





Now back to the chairs ...

Once the brown was dry I sprayed the chairs in a creamy white Annie Sloan
 Pure White & Old White mix, using my spray gun and compressor.

  

The edges and details were all distressed by sanding with 220 and finally all the chairs were
waxed and polished.


I hope this gives you some great ideas to try on your own!

 *****************************************

PLEASE STOP IN TO SEE WHAT'S NEW 
in shabby chic white hardware at

 
We have over a 1000 pieces of
 used hardware to choose from




 


  



 







 




Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. clever! I like the black distress marks on these chairs... nice to see how it's done.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank-you for the post. This is so much easier and cheaper than using ASCP Graphite with a brush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a touch I have not tried, thanks, good to visit your great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm going to try this on my next dresser!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!