I TURNED SPIDERMAN SHABBY CHIC - bathroom cabinet



I'd like to take a quick moment to impress upon you the extent of
damage there was on this piece of furniture.
 
What was I thinking?
 better yet ...
What were they thinking?
 
 
Both sides of this little night stand looked like this.
 
This stuff inside the drawer was glued down.
You do realize the child that owned this could now be grown up and watching me fix this.
 
 
  
 
Eventually I got it cleaned up using acetone on the ink, WD-40 on the stickers, sand paper on anything too tough and finally a good wash with soap and water, then repainted.
 
 
That's when the transformation into something new and exciting really started.
 
 
I used an small kitchen cabinet door and cut the bottom profile to match then hinged it in place
 
 
 
 
Next I used some more kitchen doors to build the sides of a shelf tower.
 
 
I topped the tower with this wooden wall hook thingy that I picked up on one of our
 
 
 
For the back I used tongue and groove bead board bought at a yard sale.
 
Then the last few details were added ...

 
A piece of ornate metal work from a trellis and some glass hardware for the
cupboard and drawer.

 
She is now the most attractive bathroom storage cabinet in the land.
 
 
I have a feeling I might have to do a few more of these storage towers.


Sharing with:
 


Pin It Now!

19 comments:

  1. You are sooooo talented... Wish I had that skill. The painting maybe... but wish i knew wood working.. Ummm ... (me to my husband) Ummm Mr. M did you see this... Great job... great inspiration.. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really creative in what you do, to even think of turning that Spiderman mess into a storage cabinet like that... cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what *were* you thinking? But WOW!!! Look how it all turned out! What a wonderful idea of building the tower on top and to use the cabinet doors was genious! I love that you shaped the door to fit the bottom, too. I am. In awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love it! What a before shot! Love the transformation:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I can't say that loud enough OMGosh It is Beautiful that top thingy with the Iron Is the best.It would be PEeeeeeeeeeeeerfect my my wee bathroom too.
    Have a good one Ann/alba. OMG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my sweet sweet goodness.
    I thought you were making 2 pieces of furniture...but THIS IS EVEN BETTER!
    When is 1 better than 2...at times like this.
    I love that tower of sweetness.

    So glad she sold...it's a she right? Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can't believe that you took that horrid piece of junk and turned it into something beautiful and useful. It can hardly be called a transformation; it's almost a miracle! Kudos to you, Kristy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - You are just so stinking good! Your clever ways amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really amazing Kristy - to not only be able to make this but to envision it in the first place.....hats off to you!
    Peggy @ The Painted Pear

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a magician! I could not see where you were going with this after the kitchen cab added to the bottom. Wow!! Truly impressive the amount of Spiderman stickers too. My daughter went from a Spider Man lunch box in 2nd grade, to wanting an all "Roxy" themed bedroom in 5th grade.

    I think George shouldn't just be Spiderman this year, he should be an entire man made out of spider man stickers. Did you save any from the nightstand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe the transformation. This is one of my favorites. Instead of the Amazing Spiderman it should be the Amazing Kristy! lol
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are amazing! I can't believe how these turned out. You have great vision.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing Spiderman for sure!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You are amazing! That is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are soooo talented. Very cute ~ love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this. I need this for my bathroom! Or any room, really!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an amazing project! I would be delighted for you to link to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Iwould like one of those cabinets

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!