BROKEN DRAWER SOLUTION - tsawwassen secretary



This is one of my favorite types of projects to work on. Something passed on to me from someone who knows no matter how bad it looks believes I can turn it into
something fabulous. And this desk did come out looking amazing after I worked on it.


This secretary had stickers on it, screws in it, ink stains, drawers that didn't work,
and more but the largest problem was one drawer was missing the whole corner.

 
My solution was .... get rid of the drawer.
 
 
I moved the bottom drawer into the top position and altered the frame.


 I moved the front kick board up and cut the side panel back to the rear legs.
Check out the photo above for details.
 
I put new legs on the front that just happened to be the exact length I needed.
If they had been shorter I could have cut the back legs to match the length.
Here she is standing up again with two drawers and new legs.
 
 
The inside of the top was also a big challenge to deal with. It had floor tiles stuck to the work surface,
 melted wax to remove, holes that needed fill, and the piano hinge that held the fold down was
 bent and missing screws. All of which I fixed but it took a lot of time and patience.
 
 
WD-40 is great for removing stickers and adhesive. Be sure to wash the area with soap and water after
using it. WD-40 is an oil based product that will cause water based paint to react funny on the surface.

 
Here she is all painted and put back together.
 

  

 

I hope this will give you some options for saving other wood furniture pieces from the landfill.
 
Here's your before and after ....
 
 
 

Sharing with:



Pin It Now!

25 comments:

  1. Where there's a will there's a way and you always pull it off! Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are you, anyway? I mean, honestly, you're insanely talented! The "Furniture Terminator"!
    Just amazing, gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented and have such an eye for making things beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy you are a GENIUS! I think it looks amazing!! Those claw legs are great. I'd LOVE to attend one of your workshops sometime... wish I didn't live so dang far away!!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was NOT a redo - that was sheer MAGIC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are fekkin' brilliant! I sooo wish I could go to one of your workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I NEVER would have thought of that solution! Perfect. It looks a lot better this way anyway. Lovely. Of course ALL your pieces are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic job repairing the little secretary. It is so beautiful now. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. you do such beautiful work! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristy, you are amazing! Your average person would have walked away from that project. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Dee from My Painted Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project. I just dropped by to thank you for being part of our first blog party, Hot Fun in the Summertime, but since I'm visiting I just became a follower too. Love your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well aren't you ingenious! That's a great way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic piece and it looks like you have given it a new life....nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is beautiful!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was far more that a redo. It was a story problem and you figured it out. COngratulations on such a lovely solution.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing vision! Most people wouldn't have even considered this piece worthy! Fabulous job with the legs.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Just found you through My Repurposed Life. I am blown away, what an incredible transformation you made on this piece! Immediately joined your site, can't wait to see all your old and new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fastastic re-do. I love it and it is such a pretty piece now.
    http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did with this old secretary! Just wondering, where did you find the drawer pulls? We're they already on it or did you find them somewhere? I'm looking for some exactly like that but in the antique finish for an old hutch I inherited.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing, I'm so impressed. The piece really looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All I can say is WOW! What a great remake! No one would ever realize where that poor little piece started. It came a long way Baby

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a 'disaster' of my own! You've made me believe I can make something of it!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful piece of furniture!! Amazing transformation!!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!