CHALK PAINT THAT DIDNOT STICK - leigh's buffet


It all started one dark and dreary night a few weeks back.
Okay it wasn't dreary I just liked how that sounded.


This big buffet came up for auction and someone got it.
I wasn't bidding on it and can't remember the price it went for. 


Come to find out a friend of ours had tried to bid on it but couldn't go as high as the winning bid.


I was disappointed for her but several days later when we picked up our
auction purchases, the big buffet was still unclaimed.

I let our friend know right away and she returned the following week
to rebid on the piece and win for a much better price.



 Now somewhere in all this, the big buffet came to me to spray.
All I was going to do was spend a few hours in the warm sun giving the big beast
a few coats of old white chalk paint. Leigh would do the rest of the work.
Sounds simple huh?

 

Out of more than a dozen ASCP pieces I have done to date

  
 

 I have never encountered anything like this or even heard of this happening.
I also just read about a lady painting her fridge in ASCP cream color and it adhered great.


SO what on earth happened here?
The paint started to flake as it dried.
In one small spot and spread like a diseased wildebeest on the Savannah.
Paint was falling to the ground on it's own.

first try

I didn't have time to play around.
 
second try

No more fooling around ... I sanded the entire upper cabinet with 80 grit,



It worked!!

Happy Dance



So I hand sanded the lower cabinet too.
I believe an oil was used on this cabinet, an oil that sits on the surface.
There was no way to know ahead of time as you didn't see or feel anything.



It's like a lottery I suppose, every now and then you will come across
a piece of furniture that has a mysterious product on it that just wont allow chalk paint to adhere.

Doing test patches with your paint will save you time if you think there could be an issue.
Clean your project with something that will cut oil,
I.E. TSP, SOAP AND WATER, HOUSEHOLD SPRAY DEGREASER

Note: nothing was harmed in the making of this project although I did want to throw things. 

Pin It Now!

15 comments:

  1. Well it looks fantastic now. It's not fun, but every now and then you have to redo a redo. Nice save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the?!?!?!?
    That's crazy! I would have freaked out - thank god it happened to a seasoned pro like you and not a newbie! I'm curious what was on that thing!
    Good save though!!
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that I read somewhere that once you have used one of the oils you can use on wood, lemon, linseed, or one like those, you cannot paint, even with chaulk paint, and have it adhere to the wood's surface. Sorry I don't remember which oil it is as I don't paint furniture and, therefore, did not store the information in my brain or elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh! How frustrating! You should send a link to this post to Annie Sloan herself to see what Would make ASCP do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Shelly...I'm curious what Annie Sloan would say. It looks great now though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the problem is something the cabinet was cleaned with.They really grease them up at auctions sometimes. Its beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that is a bummer! I hate do-overs! But it really is a beauty now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That STINKS!!! The comment above about the oil makes sense. But I am glad in the end it worked out for you! Just a shame all the work and product that got wasted. But you can "chalk" it up to more experience....WOCKA WOCKA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, you must sand first.
    Chippy is in, but that is beyond Chippy!!! You poor thing. It happened to me once, which is enough! You are right, who knows what they use on these pieces before we get them. All your work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apparently chalk paint does not adhere to everything. I had it fail on a small area of something I painted. There had not been any oil or grease or cleansers on the piece, since I made it myself. The chalk paint was painted over polyurethane and did not cover in a few spots only.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a bummer but you've turned it into something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is so frustrating. You think it is an easy job and it turns out to be a royal pain. Good save though. It looks great now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My guess was going to be oil as well, some of the pieces at my local antique market are so oiled up you'd think they were going to cook something on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can also wash down the piece with some tri sodium phosphate (tsp--- sold in the paint section) This dulls the shiny finish so the paint sticks :-)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!