CHALK PAINT THAT FLAKED OFF - leigh's buffet



It all started one dark and
dreary night a few weeks 
ago. Okay it wasn't dreary
I just liked how that sounded.




Let's start at the beginning.
This big buffet came up for auction and someone
I didn't know placed the winning bid.


Come to find out a friend of ours, Leigh had really wanted it
but couldn't go as high as the winning bid. I was 
disappointed for her but several days later when we picked
up our auction purchase, the big buffet was still unclaimed.
I let Leigh know right away and she returned the following
 week to rebid on the piece and got it for a much better price.


 Now this big buffet would came to me to be sprayed. All I
 was going to do was spend a few hours in the warm sun
 giving this big beast a few coats of AS Old White chalk paint.
Sounds simple huh?


Later that day something started to happen.




Out of more than a dozen ASCP pieces I had done to date

  
 

 I had never encountered anything like this or even heard of
 this happening. And I just read about a lady painting her 
fridge in ASCP paint and it adhered great.


SO what on earth happened here?
The paint started to flake as it dried.
In one small spot and spread like a diseased wildebeest on 
the Savannah. Paint was falling to the ground on it's own.

this is what it looked like the first try

this is what it looked like the second try


I didn't have time to play around.
I sanded the entire upper cabinet Top portion 
and bottom portion with 80 grit sandpaper and
sprayed it once again.



It worked!!

Happy Dance



Doing test patches with your paint will save you time if you
 think there could be an issue.
AND
It is always a good option to clean your project with 
something that will cut grease like
TSP, HOUSEHOLD SPRAY DEGREASER, or my preferred
 favorite is simple DISH SOAP AND WARM WATER

BUT in this case
I believe the cabinet was rubbed down with an oil, an oil that 
adhered to the surface probably even penetrating it. There
 was no way to know ahead of time as you didn't see or feel 
anything and washing it did not remove it.

It's like a lottery I suppose, every now and then you will come
 across a piece of furniture that has a mysterious product on 
it that just won't allow paint to adhere, so sanding was the solution this time around.


Note: nothing was harmed in the making of this 
project although I did want to throw things. 

Pin It Now!