SECRETS TO DISTRESSING WITH SANDPAPER - shabby chic chalk painted bed







Distressing a paint finish
successfully is an art. It
isn't simply loading up a
palm sander and attacking.



A light edge distressing is extremely attractive look and
shows all the detail of your project especially right after a nice
crisp paint job. The more detailed the more it stands out in a crowd!




First lets talk sand paper ...


I hand sand all my distressing,
NO ELECTRIC SANDERS HERE!!!


I fold my paper over twice as shown in the photos.


To get into recessed areas I curve my paper as seen below.


Another trick is to highlight flaws.


When you come across something unusual in the finish
like a knot or dent make it more noticeable.
See below how I've sanded a little extra around the dent.


Distressing is meant to simulate age. Imagine the wear & tear
 furniture goes through in 50 years. Kids sitting rubbing their feet
 over the same rung of a chair as they grow up, or mom wiping 
down the cabinet doors during each week of house cleaning.
The paint starts to wear in the same areas over time.


I hope this will help you with your distressing projects 
and gives you some great ideas.



********************************************

Have you stopped into firstfinds hardware store lately?
Here are just some of the items available for your projects.


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. I agree, there is an art to distressing. I constantly see pieces that the paint is just sanded off here or there, with no attention to detail or authenticity. I take a lot of time when I distress my pieces. I can definitely see you do as well! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanding is the trickiest part of the job so far as I can tell. I hate to see those pieces that have been almost sanded into a polka-dot finish. I'm not very proficient at sanding so I go for the less-is-more look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful looking bed... I like these tips.
    "Highlighting the flaws"... a good thing to know when distressing. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing these tips. I'm so afraid to distress, but love the look. I just keep painting everything white and waiting for "the day" when I start distressing them.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!