THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS PT2 - union jack set

Part 2 of the UNION JACK DINING SET


I custom painted the seats of these jack chairs.


The fabric I used is drop cloth available at your local paint store.
I have ran it through the washer before stapling it into place on the seat.
The green you see above is painters tape / frog tape.


I tested many different fabric paints, in the end the cheapest craft paint worked great.
Annie Sloan's chalk paint can be used for painting upholstery with the same results.
 

Painting a thick layer on fabric does leave a horribly rough texture, however


when you sanded it, it leaves the painted areas soft to the touch and looking like denim.
This is exactly the look I wanted.


You may have to play with the pattern a bit to work with the angle of the seat.


I used artist brushes and kept the brush strokes angled away from the edges to help avoid bleeding.


Above you can see the navy is sanded but the red has not been yet.


red left IS SANDED                                                red right NOT SANDED


I even put a painted sample through the washing machine and it came out perfect.


I did screw up the pattern here.
Can you see where?


 
Part 1 Painting the red frames of *THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS* can be found here
Sharing at:
Funky Junk Interiors
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative BlogSunday's Best Linky Party!

Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You must have the patience of a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... I can see where you 'screwed up' the pattern. That's a shame but.... it gives it the hand-done touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chairs look fabulous! Way to rock it with the union jack...I'm in love.
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looked at all your stuff on your sidebar and your available things. You do great work.
    I did a dresser recently with a union jack design with the rest of the wood natural. Unfortunately, has not sold and has been there for 2 weeks---feel like I am just selling to myself. Oh well. Just takes one right?
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so freakin' fab I don't even care to look for the "screw up"!

    I've been looking for an alternative to using fabric medium, I might've just found it. I can't wait to see the look on my Hubs' face when I start sanding FABRIC, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! I've painted fabric heaps lately and use normal house paint which I add fabric medium to if it's going to be washed...it all feels the same in the end...stiff!!
    Gives so much potential to what we can do now doesn't it?
    Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look fabulous! I can see the mistake but no one else will notice. I notice everything! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that is an interesting twist! Genius idea!

    Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. You participation is appreciated! I just became a friend and follow (#600, yea!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GASP!! FABULOUS!! And who CARES about the "mistake..." ooohhhh...love love LOVE your chairs!! I'll be back to read about their impending "journey..."

    Deborah (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com...hope you'll drop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny girl---
    That's not a mistake--that's built-in PATINA! They look fabulous!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE RED! And I love your blog. You do a wonderful job restoring furniture and documenting the steps. New follower.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!