I started this bed last week along with a few other pieces so I have been rotating
between them all.
This queen bed in an antiqued finish is finally completed.
Before I was able to get to the fun part of this make over
I had to get down and dirty with the before.
and do some interesting repairs that I'm sharing with you.
The bottom of each post had some damage in the form of missing wood.
It was simply a bad design to start with.
Over the years each time the posts hit the ground hard enough bits would break off.
So a new design was needed, in the form of new feet.
Here enters the bun feet, some wood filler, and finishing nails.
You need the nails to act as a stabalizer for the filler.
Like rebar is to concrete.
I nailed them part way in where the wood is missing.
Start filling in the voids with your wood filler.
This product is good for small areas. For larger ones I would try Durhams Water Putty.
Then start to shape it with your finger. It does take a day or so to completely harden.
Once it starts to harden
I screwed the bun feet in and adhered them with glue.
Here you can see it sanded fairly smooth.
Some areas needed a bit more filler so I filled again, let it dry, and sanded once more.
This bed is really pretty with the dark original stain coming thru.
It is finished in Min Wax wipe on Poly.
It has adjustable rails.
and I installed supports for your cross bars.
Here is a sneak peak at what's in store tomorrow:
These Twins can be found here