ORNATE SHABBY WHITE BUFFET - reveal with a before and after



This buffet has been perched in my back room
for five months longingly looking my way every
time I pass by to use the shower. I had huge plans
for it right from the beginning but the work was
going so slow while other things were also
demanding my attention. The final hurdle was
to refinish the inside, and make it look as good
as the outside.








   

I found some vintage striped wallpaper in a soft turquoise and I used it on the back panel. To match
 the rest of the cabinet interior with the paper I mixed some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Florence and 
Pure White and painted away.

  TIP: 
Remove your backer board to make it super easy to paint inside and wallpaper the backer.

The middle door seen in the above photo came fixed in place so I ripped it out and made it useable.
Seriously why did they make so many pieces of furniture with fixed panels back in the day?
The underside of the cabinet got beefed up with some lumber so I could install an incredible set of
 legs and get it off the floor. I filled the original hardware holes and installed a set of antique drop pulls.

   


BEFORE                       AFTER



Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. What sort of a thingamajig did you use to make that centre door functioning (she asks with an almost-finished hutch with a 3-door cabinet staring her in the face)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, I've read your info on adding legs to furniture, but am not sure that I can swing it. I plan to TRY with a small cabinet....OMGosh on this buffet!!! I wouldn't have even given it a second look in it's original state...but it turned into a Cinderella under your hands!!! When you cut a new back for it, did you cut the board so that the 2 back legs were in that backboard....or did you nail on 2 extra pieces for the back legs? I'm just so bumfuzzled at how you accomplish the addition of legs! You have me scanning all kinds of stuff, from door mats to Christmas ornaments, etc. for what can be used to add shapes to furniture. You are a honking creative BRAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't figure out how you beefed up the bottom so that those legs could support such a heavy piece of furniture?! You truly transform furniture in beautiful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristy!!

    Your talent with transforming furniture is amazing!! You made a piece of furniture that most people would get rid of because it was old looking and then when you get a hold of such a piece, you make it into a beautiful, useful piece of modern decor.

    I love the look of this Buffet!! Light colored furniture I find so appealing and this Buffet would be something I would own because of the way and workmanship that was done to it!!

    Great job!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!