BUFFED BUFFET - black and faux seal antique buffet

The veneer was cracked, lifting, and missing on the
 top surface of this old buffet when we got it.
It was also in it's original brown stained finish.
*Sorry no before pictures* 


The mirror was purchased at a local antique store,
 and was the perfect size to match up with the buffet.
It was gold and the elaborate decorations were
 chipped and broken.
*Sorry no before photos*


I had removed all the veneer on the top of the buffet
 a year earlier but the gouges and missing wood was
 just not going to match with the sleek black look I
 was now wanting.
The day I was working on the top I had gotten
 interrupted by the cable man come to rewire some
 connections, and really that was the main cause for
 the end result of what you see in these photos.


It was one of those trial and error projects.

In a moment of surprise this faux seal skin look magically
appeared on the top. Some have compared it to marble.  

I'm going to explain how the top was finished in
 point form in the hopes it is easier to follow:
  1. I filled the gouges with white wood filler
  2. then painted it black
  3. next spray painted with metallic silver
  4. then belt sanded the whole surface
  5. 6 layers of clear coat

I had started spraying the metallic silver on the top
 over the black thinking if I don't like it the acetone
 is right handy to wipe it off. I had forgotten about
 the cable man coming and when he arrived in the
 middle of this process I had to walk away without
 seeing what it looked like. Well once he was done
 the paint was also now dryish. I hated it! It looked
 tacky! In my anger I grabbed the belt sander with a
 35 grit belt (very coarse) and started trying to
 remove everything. This is when this beautiful
 finish started to come thru. 

You can find more piece finished in black here.

Sharing this mistake at:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialPhotobucketPhotobucketHookingupwithHoHFurniture Feature FridaysA Marvelous MessLINKPARTYBUTTON

Pin It Now!

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must love that cable man now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that's awesome. The silver accessories are perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my best paint jobs are from mistakes. Yours is unique and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is nothing short of amazing. Great mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I came over from Between Naps on the Porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks awesome and to think-it was a mistake! Visiting from BNOTP today. I think this is my first visit to your blog but I am now following because I see so many interesting projects. Come visit me-we're having a giveaway this week.
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!...it sure looks like marble!... boy, you're one talented lady! Love the way it turned out! I'm visiting from BNOTP and I just love what you do, so I am your latest follower too...hope you follow back and visit!
    Have a nice week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just never know how things will turn out- in your case it was serendipity! It really does look like seal skin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was marble at first. Gotta love a great mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great. So did you put the 6 layer of clear coat on after you went crazy with the 35 grit paper?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cableman came here yesterday, but I have no such wonderfulness to show for it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just love the mistakes that turn out beautiful? Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks awesome! Crazy that it was unintentional! :) Also, love the name of the post. :D LOL

    I'd love it if you linked up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ Thrifty 101 http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-thrifty-thursday-12.html

    Hope to see your amazing ideas soon!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking this up. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GORGEOUS! what a beautiful renovation. I love it.

    new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it came out great after all! Thanks for linking this up to wicked awesome wed. last week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to stop by and let you know I featured your project on DIY Thrifty Thursday! Thanks for linking up and hope to see you again soon! :)
    Michelle @ Thrifty 101
    http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-thrifty-thursday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just awesome! You did a fabulous job! So glad you linked up this week!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!