BIG LEGS ADDED TO A SIDEBOARD - woodworking






While working outside in the warmth of the summer's sun I took several photos to show how a frame would need to be built to install a set of legs on a buffet. I had imagined these big carved legs added to this cabinet, just like the picture. I had the legs in a crate in my back room but I would need to see how the cabinet was built before I knew if I could make it a reality. 










Most of the time I have to pull out all my wood working
skills and sometimes even the swear jar to get some legs
install on furniture. As I tipped the cabinet up I start to freak 
but expecting to find water damage or MDF underneath
but once I laid her down on her back it was like a choir 
singing and the sun parting the clouds in the sky 
She was perfect and in great shape!

There was a solid frame of wood on three sides pic #1
Just needed to add another piece across the back pic #2 
This would strengthen the entire cabinet and serve as the 
platform the legs would be installed on. 


With a solid frame on all four sides I could now screwed the
 wood legs onto each corner using 3 inch long screws, four 
per leg. You can see the heads of all four screws in the photo
 below.


Adding legs to a small nightstand is one thing but lifting a 
large cabinet onto legs needs to be taken seriously and done 
right. In the future this cabinet could hold expensive items
 like a TV or heavy dishes and no one wants there to be an 
accident because the alterations weren't strong enough.
 The legs I used were solid wood and came from a
living room side table that had a damaged top.

**********************************



**********************************

BEFORE                   AFTER

Another small addition that had an impact on the shape of 
the new buffet was an applique I used along the bottom front. 
Appliques can be found at your local home improvement stores.


 



To read more about how I add legs click here: 

*******************************************


Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project.


CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
   
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
  
    

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware