WHY I USE CHALK PAINT - with 35 years of experience





One spring morning years ago we were running late after sleeping in. It was one of those Saturdays we enjoyed spending together. All morning we would drive around doing the yard sale thing.







ROADSIDE TREASURES
Heading down the road I spotted a cabinet and my heart 
started to pound in my chest. Who doesn't get a rush of 
adrenaline when you see a curb side treasure. 

I have refinished found furniture for almost 35 years.
It was the only way as a young mom to furnish my home.


LATEX PAINT
This piece was a mid century kitchen side board
style cabinet with different levels on top.

What ever had been in the middle door was now replaced
 with a dingy white cloth. It was covered in old latex paint
 and AS chalk paint would cover it well.


FIRST TIME USING CHALK PAINT
I started using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint about 10 years ago.

The first time I tried it I was skeptical and didn't trust the claims.

In one afternoon of using it, in my back yard I was sold.

I had been working with latex paints and primers for
 over 2 decades. I had tried and tested methods that I loved.
I was able to create all sorts of finishes from smooth to rustic.


*****************************************



SHE IS AN ARTIST
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint was made by someone like me, an
artist. An artist looking to make her work, work for her.

I was born an artist I have worked with many mediums
 throughout my life and tried my hand at creating all sorts of things.

That first day I tried Chalk Paint I knew I could do all sort of
projects with it and most importantly I knew it was going to
make my life easier.


DECADES OLD WAX
This cabinet got sprayed with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old
 White and waxed with Min wax natural paste wax.

Wood workers have been using Min Wax for years in
combination with other paints and finishes.



APPLIQUES OF METAL
All the embellishments and appliques on this
cabinet are metal. They were screwed in place after being
painted with AS Chalk Paint.

 

I SWORE
I went back a few times to work on projects with latex paint.

There were various reasons but mainly for the sack of other 
people's choices. Each time I swore I didn't want to do
 that again. For me AS Chalk Paint worked so much easier. 


MAKE IT YOUR OWN
Sometimes it is hard to afford, many places it is hard to find,
 but what I want readers to take away from this article is ....

make your own informed choices, try things,
experiment, ask questions from people with experience


THE JOURNEY
Every paint project is DIFFERENT,
beginning with the start point - to what you want it to look like when it's finished.

Most importantly ... enjoy the journey because it makes the
 destination so much better every time you visit.


NEW LEGS
There was damage to the bottom of this cabinet 
so it was cut off flush and legs added.



MAKEOVER INSIDE
The interior shelves were sanded, painted and waxed.
The three drawers were lined as well as the inside back.




You can always follow along on 
INSTAGRAM @4_the_love_of_wood
where you get sneak peaks of what I am up to.

*******************************************
Firstfinds Hardware Store
  also has hundreds of vintage hardware
 pieces available for your next project.

SETS OF 2 French Provincial Solid White Handle Shabby Chic image 0 SET OF 2 Shabby Chic Drawer Pulls White Handles Hardware Solid White SET OF 2 White Shabby Chic Drawer Pulls French Provincial image 0
Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
 all the vintage switch plates to choose from


*******************************************

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware