HOW I PAINT BLACK FURNITURE using latex paint



I have painted many black pieces of furniture in my time and I can tell you the darker the paint color the longer the cure time.
Keeping a black piece of furniture dust free is as hard as getting a black paint job to look good. It takes a lot of time and never feels like it is done. 



Sanding is an important step when working with latex paint.
I do not use an electric sander, I hand sand most everything,
Orbital sanders create circles in the wood grain which I don’t
 want in my finished piece. Many others use sanders, this is a
 person choice.



The real trick to my paint finish being nice and smooth
 is primer. I always use grey primer for black paint and I
make sure to do several coats. I can sand it much easier then
 paint. It will show me all the imperfects before I get to the 
actually paint. I can run my hand over each layer of primer 
and feel any bumps then sand them away.


Once my project is completely covered in primer and the way
 I want it to look I then brush paint the black on, usually 2
 coats. Latex paint takes a min. 28 days to cure so be gentle
 with your surface once complete. To get a very nice shine in
 the end I have use minwax furniture polish and minwax
wipe on poly over the black. Avoid paper like 
magazines sitting on newly painted surfaces





White & Silver handles look very sharp on
black paint very Hollywood glam.


 ********************************************

Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project. 
      
  
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
    
  
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware