DARK WAXING BLACK PAINT - applying tips




I love to wax black paint! I really really do! I hope if I say it enough it might make it true!




This fun AS Graphite project need to be dark waxed and I
 don't apply dark wax the same as clear wax. Black finishes
 are tricky to deal with. They show every flaw in the paint, 
collect and show dust 10x more than other colors, and finger
 prints and wipe marks are always seen on glossy surfaces.
The way I get a nice smooth looking finish is .......

I WAX WITH STEEL WOOL ON BLACK PAINT
  **woodworkers have used fine steel wool for decades to refine their finishes **

HOW I APPLY IT
 I apply the dark wax with fine woodworkers steel wool. The 
steel wool smooth's my finish and I can use it all the way 
through the process, applying, removing, and most of the 
buffing. The process is slightly different and I would describe
 it more like I am sanding the entire surface with the steel
 wool and using the wax as a lubricant. The wax can't really 
build up when you are using something coarse like the wool. I
 do polish the top with paper towel or a soft cloth for the final
 step.



I built this black bookshelf with many different pieces 
including the 2 side tables seen below.



The front legs are harp arms from a vintage mirror, and the 
top and trim pieces are all from one coffee table, and a few
 scraps of wood for shelving in the middle.

To build the top shelving I used some pine bed
frame parts and a stair rail post.

*********************************************************************





********************************************


Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project.

     
    CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
       
  CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
         


Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware