MATCHING AN EXISTING PAINT JOB - grey cabinet


 
 
after photo
 
I found this little cabinet at a yard sale many years ago. NO BEFORE PICTURE
 It had WAVY ORANGE PLEXI GLASS in the door and SIMPLE ANGLED PLYWOOD LEGS.
What I did adored about the cabinet was the finish. Someone had created this unique vintage
look in grey and it was going to fit perfectly in our mudroom to store supplies.
 
HomeDepot Wallpaper
 
Out with the orange plexi and in with a cool wallpapered panel. I kept the amazing antique handles,
and the grey/brown paint finish. I love the idea of putting a swing handle on it's side for the door.
Think about trying it on your next project.
 
 
Somewhere along the way one of the original legs broke. We would just prop the little cabinet up
and go about our business. When it came time to make over the mudroom it was time to deal
 with the little broken leg. I went to my stash and picked 4 longer cabriolet legs to replace the old plywood ones. Longer legs was also going to make the outlet behind the cabinet easier to use.

I apply dark wax with a glove and paper towel
 
I painted just the legs in a simple grey I mixed with Annie Sloan Pure White & Graphite.
When the legs were dry I used clear wax then generous amounts of dark wax.
It was the exact recipe to get a perfect match with the cabinet finish.
 
 
Here is the cabinet standing proud all fixed, painted, decorated, and filled with automobile supplies!
It's our mini garage hiding our oil and antifreeze, funnels and flashlights.
 
 
To see more of this tiny room makeover:





Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware