SIGNATURE WHITE PAINT FINISH - how to paint with latex


Thank you for your emails and the complements.
I'm so very glad I have inspired you as so many
 inspire me on a daily bases.
My signature *white* is a custom color I have
 mixed at Cloverdale paint, a Canadian company.

  • It is a creamy white semi gloss latex.
  •  It can be used in white or off white decorating.
  • It gives the finished piece a sophisticated look.


The process for my signature white is quite
 detailed as I'm looking for a smooth, clear, long
 lasting finish. Rather then a distressed
or antiqued look.


 I do distress some of these pieces, however it
 is usually only lightly distressed and most steps
are still followed.

The real trick to the signature finish is the primer.
  1.  My primer is tinted a shade lighter then the paint.
  2. I use more coats of primer then paint. 
  3. Primer dries quickly and adheres well.
  4. Primer will show imperfections still needing attention.
  5. Primer is easy to sand between coats.

Primer smooths the undersurface of the finish,
 similar to way we woman use foundation make-up.

Pictured here is a grey primer I usually use for darker colors.
If your surface is shiny I would rough it up with 80 grit sand paper before priming.
I prime a minimum of 3 coats with a quality brush.
I use a brand sold at HOME DEPOT called
 Performance Select SILVER. The smoother your brush feels
in your hand the smoother it will apply paint. What determines
 when I have enough coats of primer is if the piece
 looks finished. The resulting 2 coats of paint I
 then add smooth the top surface and make it easier
 to wash or wipe later and of course
the final color and gloss.

 Latex paint takes 28 days to fully cure so you must
 be careful with your top surfaces once completed
 with adding accessories such as lamps and decor.
 
 Alternative you can stain the top surface with
 a rich dark walnut which ends up looking stunning
 against the creamy white and then a clear coat
 is added.

Hope this helps with your current projects!


Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware