ISLAND RETREAT - cabinet transformation


Come see what I did to this unwanted mid-century cabinet!

I turned the whole cabinet upside down, and shifted a few things around

 
ABOVE: See the long drawer on bottom
BELOW: See the long drawer is now on top

 
I replaced the moldy cardboard back with hardwood flooring leftovers.
The top work surface also got the same finish.
 

The fancy corbels are actually resin book ends from a local home decor store. I used lots of salvaged
 molding pieces to square the cabinet off and to hide some of the routing on the doors.
 
 
I purchased 2 saddle stools from Craig's list to finish things off,
 
 
and to paint in a playful turquoise.
 
 
We love eating meals here.
 
 
Shared this transformation at:
Furniture Feature FridaysMy Repurposed Life

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous transformation! Looks really amazing now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest little island! Great job! Love the detail too.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever I can hardly get over it. I want one exactly like it right this instant! Besides clever, though, it's perfectly executed beauty. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a lovely job! We are on the hunt for a piece to make into an island. Your redo makes me want to go to Goodwill right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't already, make sure you enter my linky party for the chance to become Best of the Best and win an award and prizes!
    http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/01/strut-your-stuff-like-you-mean-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is completely brilliant. You got so creative and made this such a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am speechless! It is utterly and completely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out beautifully! You are so clever to have thought about turning the piece upside down to make it so much more useful. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. definitely "catching" you this week! oh my gosh, this is fabulous!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great re-purpose! I love it! 8>)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!